CHICAGO–The Josh Hamilton era came to an abrupt end Thursday, when the Cubs sent the minor leaguer to the Cincinnati Reds for cash considerations. Hamilton had been selected by the Cubs from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the Rule V draft which took place earlier in the day.
Immediately after Cubs G.M. Jim Hendry finished signing Hamilton’s contract, fitting him for a jersey, and shaking his hand, he tore up the contract, took back the jersey, and told Hamilton that he had just “stinkpalmed” him.
Gone, but never forgotten.
Here are my top five moments of the Josh Hamilton era:
- December 7, 2006. Cubs draft Josh Hamilton in the Rule V draft.
- December 7, 2006. I plug “Josh Hamilton” into Wikipedia, getting excited as I learn that he was once a #1 draft pick (1999).
- December 7, 2006. Josh Hamilton stinkpalmed by Jim Hendry.
- December 7, 2006. Josh Hamilton traded to the Reds.
- December 8, 2006. “Fire Lou Piniella!” looks back at Josh Hamilton’s Cub career.