ORLANDO–Cubs are flying everywhere, and I don’t currently have time to write sarcastic stories about all of them. I promise I will soon. To catch you up:
- Ted Lilly is a Cub at 4 years, $40M. The Cubs actually outbid the Yankees for a free agent for the first time in MLB history.
- Daryl Ward is a Cub at 1 year, lifetime pass to Old Country Buffet.
- Cash is a Cub, as Jim Hendry shipped a Rule 5 pick, Josh Hamilton, to the Reds for cash.
- Jason Schmidt and Gil Meche, popular Cub rumors, are not Cubs. Schmidt went to the Dodgers, and Meche to the Royals.
- Freddy Bynum is no longer a Cub. He, like Corey Patterson, is now the Orioles’ problem.
- Jacque Jones is still a Cub.
- Piniella basically called Prior a whiny bitch, and has yet to talk to Derrek Lee.
- Hendry has actually become more effective as a GM while lying flat on his back in a hospital bed, after having undergone an angioplasty. Seriously.
- Glendon Rusch is still a Cub, right?